2018 Gallery for Community Mission for Improved Housing, INC
This was CMIH’s fourth year, 2018. We completed this year 7 Projects: 1 Shelter, 2 Fundraisers and 4 Homes.
1 Shelter/Community Center Projects (Total since 2015: 7)
4 Private Home Projects (Total since 2015: 22)
2 Fund Raisers (Total since 2015: 6)
7 Projects for 2018 (Total since 2015 TO DATE: 35)
Our year objectives were as follows:
1. Project #29 (Hope House Shelter) 422 S. 16th Street (Installation of Heating & Cooling System)
2. Project #30 (Fifth Fundraiser) 3rd Chili Challenge
3. Project #31 (Nineteenth Home) Love Independence Day 1212 N. Penn painted by the employees of TEXTRON AVIATION, paint donated by SHERWIN WILLIAMS and the help of the INDEPENDENCE HOUSING AUTHORITY Director, April Nutt.
4. Project #32 (Twentieth Home) Love Independence Day 900th N. Penn painted by ATMOS ENERGY employees and WESTAR ENERGY’s bucket truck was used for reaching high places. An oven (was donated by First Presbyterian of Independence) and a nearby lot for gardening (donated by an ATMOS ENERGY employee) was also presented to the home owner.
5. Project #33 (Twenty-First Home) Love Independence Day 1007 N. Penn
6. Project #34 (Twenty-Second Home) 410 N. Park – Ramp (Emergency ramp installed.)
7. Project #35 (Sixth Fund Raiser) CMIH Work Van
On Hold: 423 S. 16th Street – Rolled Roof (Material account has been established with Woods Lumber. (Owner has not started project.)
On Hold: 301 S. 4th Street – Painting (The Independence Housing Authority, through a grant, has contracted to finish replacing the outside deteriorated woodwork. The contractor is also supposed to finish the outside painting. We are watching progress, since we want to see the project finished as soon as possible.)
1. Project #29 (Hope House Shelter) 422 S. 16 Street ~ Installation of Heating & Cooling System. (Seventh Shelter/Community Center Project)
2. Project #30 3rd Chili Challenge ~ First Place Ruth Hanke, Second Place Tom Jewers and Third Place Dana Hart. Winner of Quilt Donna Dittmer of Independence. (Fifth Fundraiser)
Love Independence Day April 28th
CMIH was deeply involved in “Love Independence Day” activities, we prepped three homes in Independence to get them ready for painting. The three homes which were prepped were on North Penn, this was all possible for CMIH with the help and direction of Independence Housing Authority Director, April Nutt.
Tim & Cindy White, as a highlight on Saturday April 28th, 2018, organized The American Legion Riders to visit Independence during the day. There were about 25+ Legion Riders with large American flags, riding through the downtown area around 10:00-11:30 a.m. and made several rounds by the “Love Independence Day” sites. We were honored to have The Legion Riders participate in our “Love Independence Day”.
Also, a special thanks to SHERWIN WILLIAMS for donating 25 gallons of paint.
And, a special thanks to WOODS LUMBER for the use of their hydraulic lift for use in painting high places.